Maybe you should try these first:
Back to Fiona's Finding Service
- ScotlandsPeople online index to certificates for births (to 1913), marriages (to 1938), deaths (to 1963) and census returns from 1841 to 1911.
- OriginSearch a genealogy search engine
- EnglishOrigins.com marriages, censuses, burials, wills and apprenticings, etc.
- IrishOrigins.com records which survived the 1922 fire, and from genealogy web pages
- Free BMD English birth, marriage and death records - nowhere near complete yet, but worth a try
- National Archives of Scotland contains many records other than BMD, including wills, marriage contracts, legal cases, sasines, land transfer registrations, Court, Church and Burgh records, etc.
- National Library of Scotland contains many rare books, limited-edition family histories, etc.
- Statistical Accounts what the country was like in the 1790s and 1830s
- The Society of Genealogists includes index to their library (in London), includes all those indexed at EnglishOrigins.com
- Latter Day Saints Family Search Database
- Gencircles - look for your cousins here
- Cyndi's List - find everything else here