The estate of Nottingham is in the parish of Latheron.
The estate of Gersay is in the parish of Watten.
After the middle of the seventeenth century we find frequent mention of William Henderson of Nottingham, he being the same person who, as William Rorisone, married, in 1655, Janet Gordon, relict of James Sutherland of Forse. After her first husband's death Janet Gordon was styled "Lady Nottingham", having, no doubt, had the liferent of these lands, and thus William Henderson was also designed of Nottingham. He appears to have been a person of some substance, from the bonds and obligations to him appearing on the records, and from the traditional account of his family he seems to have been the son of Roderick Henderson (whence his surname of Rorisone), who was the eldest son of Hugh Henderson, one of the portioners who possessed at one time the lands of Brabsterdorran. His contract of marriage is dated 31st January 1655, and in 1676 he obtained a wadset from Lord Glenorchy of the feu and teind duties of Gersay and Coghill in Watten, to himself in liferent and to his son, John, in fee.
By Janet Gordon he had two sons, John and David.
As fiar under the wadset in 1676 John was styled of Gersay; and dying without issue, he was succeeded by David.
David Henderson of Gersay married in 1680 Margaret, daughter of Colonel Francis Sinclair in Scrabster (son of John Sinclair, first of Assery) and his wife, Anne, daughter of Francis Sinclair of Stirkoke. In his contract of marriage (June 1680) he is called "lawful son of William Henderson of Nottingham and Janet Gordon".
In 1689 and 1697 he disponed the wadset to Sir Robert Dunbar of Northfield, and of the subsequent history of his family there is no account.